Sunday, April 18, 2010

Horsin' around

Doesn't every little girl dream of riding her own horse? I know I did. And I KNOW my daughter does....


Although I didn't have the opportunity growing up, we are fortunate to be surrounded by hungry hay munchers at our house today. So what happens when a 7 year old beautiful brown eyed girl bats her eyes at daddy and begs to join the local riding club??? You guessed it! Off we go every Tuesday night to the arena in town. Lucky for her, she has inherited her dad's amazing talent and natural horsemanship ability. She rides like a pro on a horse that is not particulary considered a traditional "kid" horse. Maybe it's protective mom instinct or maybe my former horse experience that lead to a broken leg and shattered ankle overseas, but I tend to think worse case scenario when she climbs aboard. However, she is quickly convincing me otherwise. As hubby says, "don't underestimate what she can make that horse do". I'm starting to believe him.... kind of.


Last weekend we had the opportunity to participate in a horse clinic where I got to practice my "pulling the trailer in town" skills and the young kids got to ride all day at the arena with clinicians working on various horse skills. It was a wonderful opportunity for them and they had a great time. We are thankful for those who volunteer their time for these kids to grow and develop not only in their horse ability, but in confidence, maturity, and life skills in general. When I think of all the issues with America today, it's refreshing to see young kids learn to communicate, become passionate and caring for God's creatures, choose activity over television, and learn to give back to their community among other things. Likewise, I cannot end this without mentioning the generosity of a retired rancher from the area who has generously donated the funds to build an amazing arena at the local fairgrounds that is used nearly ever night for all sorts of activities from horse practice to concerts, rodeos to traveling circus shows, expos to church services, etc... No government bailouts here... just hard working American's who are proud to give back to the community and people that they love.

Kind of makes you want to go out and give back, doesn't it?!?!

2 comments:

  1. My daughters would settle for a puppy much less a horse. I think moms always see danger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, friend. Love the pics and the sentiment. :) The kindness of others is always a blessing... I love hearing stories about it. thanks for sharing.

    HUGS from Orlando!
    robin

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to inspire me....