Friday, January 15, 2010

500 mile club

Since this blog is supposed to be about things that inspire me, I can't help but give a shout out to my new blogger friends and fellow members of the "Pay if Forward 500 Mile Club". I have been in severe need of some motivation to get me out of the house and back to running these past few months. Although I just took up the sport last year, I am amazed at how much I've enjoyed it. Maybe it's the stress relief, the health benefits, the 30 minutes of peace and quiet I get, or just knowing that I accomplished something I never thought possible. Whatever it is, I really miss it. So when I stumbled across Robin and her 500 mile club, I thought why not?? Basically, you make a committment to run X number of miles in 2010, and for every mile you run, you donate X amount of money to a cause of your choice. Since I'm on the Southwest Nebraksa Relay for Life Committee, I picked that for my cause, and like several of the other runners, it's a dime for every mile. A little at a time, but how fun to see it add up over time for a great cause.

Needless to say, this new goal coupled with the beautiful weather we've had this week has gotten me back on the road again. After 4 months off, it's a slow start but I can see and feel the progress. Stay tuned for weekly mileage updates!!!

1 comment:

  1. horray for the 500 club :) I only started running in October and was making progress....until I went home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was so cold out and I've become a wimp so I didn't want to run in the cold and snow. I basically was off 1.5 months and was super excited to come back to FL so I could run again :) This week has been tough-lots of walking involved and I feel so out of shape, but its all worth it. I'm hoping that it will soon become a bit easier.

    I love the quote "The journey to 1000 miles begins with a single step." It was my high school graduation quote and whenever I don't want to go out I just tell myself just one foot in front of the other. Just go out for 5 minutes and if I'm still not feeling well I can come back. Any little part of a run is better than no run at all :)

    Good luck! And long comment is done...finally haha

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to inspire me....