Sunday, August 5, 2012

Nine year olds and jigsaws...

I know it sounds like a dangerous combination, but with proper supervision, it actually turns out to be really cool.  Ally really wanted to do some woodworking in 4H this year so I started searching for beginner wood plans on the internet several weeks ago.  I found some boring basic plans that would work but then I came across the perfect plan... a vintage step stool!  It didn't look too hard so we decided to give it a shot.  The plans came from Ana White.  You can find the step by step plans here.

Here she is with all her wood supplies before she made the cuts.

Measure twice... cut once.  At least that's what my dad taught me.

She had a little help but did a great job with the power tools!

Sand Sand Sand... then sand some more!

And when you get tired you grab the electric sander!

She needed a little muscle from her dad to help put all the wood screws in!


The FINAL product!!  She did two coats of paint and distressed the edges to get the "vintage" look she was going for!!
I know we haven't practiced math facts like we should have this summer, but looking back on this project I realized we did fractions, math, measurements, and problem solving without even realizing it.  And I got a new jigsaw out of the deal so everyone is happy!!



1 comment:

  1. Very nice! SO glad this project didn't include a trip to the ER. You're a brave soul, Mom. There are some tricky cuts on this little sucker...I'm sure you realized that AFTER you read the directions. Before that I can here you saying, "Look at this simple stool, Al." I know this because I've said it and then said, S@#$! Congrats on the new saw. Can't wait to see your project.

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to inspire me....