Thursday, January 13, 2011

2010 Mileage Review


Thanks to Daily Mile (think facebook for athletes), I can log all my runs and look back on times, mileage, calories burned, etc... I set out for a lofty goal of 500 miles last January. Since I had only run off and on for a few months prior to this, it was a shot in the dark as to how I would do. As you can see from the chart below, I started out pretty strong but faded fast.
January thru March was a real confidence building phase. My longest run was 10 miles and it totally changed my perspective. I found difficulty making time for runs in the spring, with lack of daylight, long work hours, Gail's work schedule, kids activities, house remodeling, and a whole host of other life chores that always took precedence. I don't blame any of them. It was my choice, but I do realize that a 30-60 minute break makes for a much happier and less stressed me.
It's funny to me when I look back my progress. At first, the thought of a 5k (3.1 miles) was daunting, if not impossible. I distinctly remember being so proud that I could run a whole mile without stopping. And then two. And then I signed up for my first 5k and thought if I just finished I would be happy. Now I come home and the kids ask how far I ran and I say "JUST three". Now six seems respectable and three is what you do if you are in a hurry. I suppose it continues on with unlimited boundaries and that's why they have half and full marathons, ultras, iron man races, etc...
You will also notice in the monthly graph that I made a comeback at the end of the year. I managed to make it to a total of 300 miles for the year, which I am very happy with, and I have been blessed with good weather this winter to allow me to keep it up. My confindence continues to grow and I "want" to lace up, rather than feeling like I "have" to lace up. I couldn't do it without the support of my family... especially Gail.
I think 600 is a realistic goal this year and I hope to develop and maintain a consistent enough base to someday run a half marathon. But above all, I just want to feel better, set a healthy example for my kids, and take 30 minutes out of the day for some down time. What are you doing this year to take steps to a healthier YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now it's your turn to inspire me....