Thursday, May 20, 2010

More destruction.... kitchen style!

Just last week when we were finally getting settled into the new part of the house, things were looking up. I was a cleaning machine, organizing queen, and anti-hoarder neat freak all wrapped into one. And then they came back.... the construction workers that is. They are like members of our household after nine months. We've decided it's been too long when we no longer worry about strangers in the house and we quit rushing around every night when we get home to see what new and exiciting progress they have made. It's nice to feel comfortable in your pj's among non-family but seriously... you reach a point in a remodeling project when you just want it to be over. Now is not a good time for that feeling as we just began PHASE II: the kitchen. Hopefully we are on the downhill slide but I'm smart enough to know not to hang onto expectations whether they be completion dates, financial estimates, or mental pictures. They pretty much go out the window with the remains of the 1980's wall paper. So here are a few before and "during" shots. I'd love to wait for a dramatic before and after feature but that could be months and you know how I hate to keep you all in suspense!

This is the tiny "hallway" style kitchen we have used for over 10 years.


A view from the living room looking toward the kitchen. You'll see the same view in an "after" shot below. (That is the remains of the original wallpaper in an area of the wall to be ripped out.)


Standing in the new addition looking toward the old entry - this space was our hall closet, washer/dryer, kitchen entry, and general catch-all area!

And now the BIG reveal from the same views shown above... (insert drum roll here)...



We are grateful that the old cabinets along the walls can stay until the new cabinets arrive. Hopefully we can somewhat function until that time. Be sure to stay tuned in about 2-3 months to see how it turns out!


2 comments:

  1. I AM SPEECHLESS! I'm worried that the ceiling is going to fall in! I hope you researched this contracter. I'm kidding... I am so envious of such a wide open space. I'm going to tear my wall down tomorrow! Keep the photos comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Your new kitchen is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to inspire me....