Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fair Daze... Part II - Girls and Guns


I know... it sounds dangerous, doesn't it??  When I asked Ally what projects she wanted to take last spring, one of the first things out of her mouth was "Shooting Sports"!  This is odd because a) we don't own a gun, b) neither Gail or I shoot anything, and c) I expected her to say "baking cookies". 

Being the supportive, open minded parents we are, we said no sure of course you can! First step was safety training, next step was BB gun purchase, and third step was practice practice practice... all of which we did about 2 wks before the contest!  She did great and it was fun for Nathan to do too.  We spent several nights together out shooting targets in the back yard.  They had to shoot 4 positions... prone, standing, kneeling, and sitting.  They get 10 targets per position.  Boy did we learn a lot!  I think we might just do it again next year!! 

I have to give the county and the volunteers credit for the program.  There must have been 30 kids shooting that morning at the fair and I think 20 of them were beginners.  It was fun to watch them and they all had a great time!!!


Loading the gun... one BB at a time!

Practicing in the sitting position.

Checking out the results!!

Shooting at the fair - kneeling position.

Some of the kids waiting on results!

Ally and two of her friends showing off their targets and ribbons!!

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh...I can just see all you guys out in the backyard practicing! Maybe they should have had a parent division at the fair?? lol

    ReplyDelete

Now it's your turn to inspire me....